Window Cornice Ideas
What is a window cornice?
Just like there are soft window treatments and hard window treatments, there are soft valances and hard valances. A hard valance is called a cornice.
Here are some cornice ideas you can use to decorate your window:
Fabric Cornices also known as upholstered cornices are made with fabric and padding covering a wooden cornice box. The different cornice styles are endless. Here are some of them:
- Simple Flat Cornice: This cornice is simply covered with fabric giving any window a neat yet elegant finishing touch.
- Fabric Covered Cornice with Inserts:Similar to the flat cornice but with a center insert across the width. Some variations to this style would be:
- Solid outer edges with a larger themed print fabric as an insert.
- Shirred fabric on the outer edges and flat fabric as an insert or vice versa.
- Shaped Bottom Cornice: The lower edge of this cornice is shaped, like scallops, zig-zag, a combination of both, or any other pleasing, artistic design.
- Peek-a-boo Cornice: This is a double cornice seen on many victorian window treatments. It looks like this: The over-cornice has three scallops and the under-cornice has only two. The scallops of the under-cornice peek out where the over-cornice goes upwards.
- Fabric Decorated Cornice: A cornice can be decorated with swags, jabots, or bows. This is a very pretty soft and hard valance combo.
Fabric covered cornices can be trimmed with tassels, piping, beaded fringe etc. just like soft valances.
Return from Window Cornice to Valances
The Window Treatment Expert
1796 45th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11204